Sunday, October 26, 2008

My "Art" Gallery...


Was hidden right in front of me. My experience happened to be quite unexpected, and it's just now reflecting on it that I chose this as befitting of this assignment. I will happily defend my position if necessary.

Yesterday, I was chatting with a friend who was creating this awesome book of photos for her friend here. She had been saving and gathering all these pictures, and then you can have it made into all sorts of things, a book or calendar for instance. I was getting somewhat sentimental, and it made me think about how thoughtful of a gift it was. What better gift than to revisit the past, especially fond memories?

This then made me think of my twin sis Mandy, who is out in North Carolina and I miss her a great deal. I wanted to do something thoughtful for her, and so I was compelled to go grab any older photos of us together, and maybe put together a book of pictures that she could enjoy.

I don't formally have a proper place for my photos, as the day I'd arrange them all in albums got put off quite a bit. They just live in a box. I went on a mad hunt to find it, and when I did, it was like a treasure chest full of mysteries and delights. I had forgotten about all the different pictures in there, from when we were younger up to right when digital cameras came out (I know this is when the actual pictures I had developed stopped since it became so easy aka: lazy to store only online). As I went through all the pictures, a plethora of emotions came out like cracking up in laughter to kind of sighing like I wonder what happened to this person and how they're doing to happy to almost sad.

Some of these pictures were taken by others, but a great deal were mine. It made me realize this really is my own little box of art, maybe even if someone else found them, would that not be art to them? If I selected a photo I took from out of there at a party or event, I could also think of say 3 other various people who might have taken a picture at the same time, but the outcome would of been different. Why? Framing is probably my best answer, but isn't the camera lens like our own view on the world...and isn't art just an expression of that viewpoint?

Anyway, I may not have set out to purposefully fulfill the assignment in this manner, but low and behold it happened nonetheless. I enjoyed looking through all the old photos that make up my life. I hadn't done that in a very long time. It also made me realize that I need to stop and document life more often. I need to print out more of my digital pictures. I don't want to be 80 and regretful because I was "too busy" to stop and do this, because I realized it really means a lot to me to be able to hold the picture in my hand vs. viewing it online. I want to smile and remember those days, whether they be good or bad.

1 comment:

j.nick said...

The camera is our view point of the world, our perspective. I think it's a great thing to 'document life' and an even better idea to print those photos. One day, a lot of people will regret not having done so.

Great take on this 'project'. Just reading it made me think of old photos I have. And then think, 'what are they doing now' or grin about some ridiculous photo of old friends.