Sunday, October 12, 2008

My Seven Senses!

Day One:
Touch/Feeling. This sense is definitely the first one I thought to blog about.

I feel the movement of my lip ring, because I've gotten in a habit of moving it back and forth when I'm thinking about things. I never really payed attention to how that honestly felt because I've been doing it so long. A simple gesture, like how guys rub their mustache while in thought. (ps: mustache is such a weird word, I can't recall the last time I typed or said it) The metal actually stays a bit colder than my body temperature. Every moment I try to forget there's a cast keeping my leg/foot hostage. But forcibly, I feel the hardness of the cast around my ankle and it makes it feel a bit claustrophobic. Yes, I have claustrophobic feet. While I was on my way to the car to get my blood work done, one of my crutches got a bit caught on a chair leg. This sent me into a delicate and not very graceful attempt to re-balance myself. I never noticed JUST how important toes are! Because mine are forced straight in this cast, I cannot bend them to help counter the stumble. This in fact almost caused me to tumble forward even more so. I also thought back to a time when I accidentally slipped a bit on a damp floor, and my leg stretched out in a funny position, it's a little ironic how it didn't feel good then, but it feels good when it's my choice to stretch, which I've been doing much more lately than I paid attention to.

I just cracked my knuckles in my fingers. I do that sometimes without thinking while at the computer. Felt good, like a small pop of air being released in a balloon. While I was working on homework later, my nose itched badly for some reason. Do you ever stop and think about why people in public try to find the most polite way to itch their nose without making people think they were picking it haha or are some kinda crack addict? I just rubbed it a bunch and that felt so much better. I've decided there's no better touch I think than relieving an itch with a scratch. Wish I could say the same for my foot in the cast when it has an itch. I had to get creative with that.

Day Two:
Taste.

I recently drank a coffee in an effort to wake up, and later on I could still taste the residual flavor of the beans and milk. The weather today has been nice with a cool crispness to it. There's a breeze coming in right now...I have always thought that autumn air had a taste to it...Maybe because of the leaves piled on the ground, dirt mixed with someone at night burning leaves and twigs, and a touch of something else I cannot quite describe, maybe it's moisture in the air? After taking a shower, I sprayed on some perfume. Of course not with my mouth open!! hah, but the lingering mist of it makes the air kind of taste like black cherries and a sandalwood candle mixed with something else unnatural, like you've just eaten some lip balm or glue as a kid and realized it was not made for eating. It's funny over the day I noticed a bigger correlation between what you smell, and also what you might taste from it. I know certain animals actually smell better by tasting the air too...interesting! Taste also involves feeling the texture in your mouth. Mouth-feel they'd call it. Creamy or crunchy, these also intertwine with touch because of how the food feels. No one wants to eat something if it feels slimy or hard as a rock...well, some might! But it affects my sense or opinion of taste no doubt.

I also found when it came time to take my pain meds today, I never noticed just how bitter Percocet is! This happened because I popped them in my mouth before opening my drink, and pitifully I could not get the damn cap off before they started to dissolve a little. YUCKKKKY!

Day Three:
Hearing.

I love to multitask. I would say at most times, I'm reading something while listening to the tv while playing my character on the computer in an online game - switching between them all at intervals. While I was playing a game on the computer, I remember hearing this show on tv talking about what if humans all disappeared, how would the Earth fair? The fan was blowing in the background bringing in the cool air, and I'm focused on browsing Etsy with one headphone on my ear listening to the sounds of the online game. It actually made me stop doing everything to focus on the show as it trickled in and caught my attention. I don't know what made me stop, maybe it was the outlandish idea perhaps. Maybe it's because it gave me an odd slightly scared feeling and paired with the voiceover talking about the Earth without humans, it made me also start thinking really hard about that. I adjusted my leg absentmindedly while thinking, and heard the scraping sound of my cast again the chair. As much as I -try- to forget my leg is in a cast, the distinct clinkclop sound is hard to tune out. Huh, funny as I thought I'd get used to hearing it by now.

Latier I'm hungry for a snack, it's quiet in the room and when I went to grab it, the crackling sound was SOOO loud. I know it's not me just being sensitive. I never really thought about it, but have you noticed how just about EVERYTHING snack wise or food wrappers are freaking crackly? Who on earth thought let's cover food with the most annoying cellophane type substances that crackle loud...It made me think about how in class or at the movies, you can barely eat anything because if it's quiet, all people would hear is the loud crackling noise of the wrapper. And how you sneakily try to open it slowly to get the snack out without everyone noticing. I think it's because the sound is out of place in that environment, and they're so focused on either listening to the professor or the movie that it disturbs it. Overall, I would hear things I normally tune out. Humming of the computer, the fan blowing, little noises people in the house make while moving around, and yes, wrappers on food hehe. Lastly, music. If one couldn't hear, music would not really matter. But music evokes emotion for most people, otherwise what's the point? It can make you happy, sad, tense, out of control, it helps us pinpoint an emotion we love or hate, and I think that's why we love or hate particular styles of music too.

Day Four:
Smelling. Oh what a nice sense to have.
I was laying in bed reading and trying not to focus on feeling somewhat icky today. I have been into this series called Twilight, and my boyfriend had just run out earlier that day to buy the next in the series because I read too fast (a blessing and a curse I always say). I hadn't always paid attention, but new books really do have a smell. Old books definitely have a smell too I guess more noticeably. But the new book smelled almost woodsy, mixed with glue and kind of a print press room smell. Like if you walk into a Kinko's there is this smell of ink and warm paper from copiers. I was near the window, and again thankfully feeling fall-like, there was a nice breeze in the air that kept blowing the subtle scent my direction which made me take notice of it. I guess you may have noticed I always have a window open, sometimes even in winter on less cold days as I enjoy fresh air in my room vs. stale air. Yeah stale air, it really has a smell too that normally I guess most people don't notice, but to me it's kind of musty dusty depending. Like on an airplane, if that helps. Late, I was taking a nap, and I remember waking up buried in the covers. We have a down alternative comforter, and I could smell this cottoney fabric softener smell that lingered on it from our linen spray. Most food tastes good because we also smell it beforehand. Who can withstand the fresh smell of popcorn in the microwave, or pie cooking in the oven, or chai heating over the stove top? GAH! Yummies. Candles wouldn't be so successful if we didn't have a good sense of smell either. Nor air spray, nor perfume. The list goes on and on.

Day Five:
Sight.
Still on my reading kick, I noticed that if I read for a very long stretch, like for two hours, and then finally looked up and away from the book, my eyes were kind of blurry. It would take several seconds before my sight felt focused again. I wouldn't even realize how long it had been until I actually did this. While typing this later, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a reflection on my water bottle of the light. I never realized how many shiny objects are in this room, that reflect back objects or things in the background behind it. From a soda can to the cell phone to my brush and on, I can see all sorts of light reflected off it. I never knew shiny was so pleasing to my eyes, haha, or I wouldn't have so much of it in here I think. Even this balloon with helium leftover from the hospital is showing up in one of the reflections. I never really paid attention to that. Colors also affect my sight. I have been collecting these mini works of art called ACEO's. I have them hanging down off the top of my computer desk taped together. It creates the most vivid and unusual color combination when I stare near or at them to relieve my eyes from being tired staring at the computer screen (it works! heh) The colors sort of blur together and make my eyes happy. Possibly because it also contains lots of orange and purples in some, two of my fav colors. If I lost my sight, these would not have much meaning to me. People could describe them to me, what they were, and I could hold it in my hands yes. But it wouldn't be the same as seeing them again. Some of my favorite sights are of my lazy 'tubtub' cat sleeping curled up on my bed, leaves blowing around in the air during autumn, the way my boyfriend smiles, it goes on and gets very sappy, but sight helps us understand things around us. Expressions would be useless if someone could not see them.

Day Six:
Gut Instincts.

That feeling in your stomach, tipping you off something bad is going to happen, something is truth or fake...I definitely believe this is another sense. It's a sense I have for sure, though I may not always listen to it. I can usually rely on it to help me figure out if I'm about to do something stupid, or if someone is only being nice to me for a particular underlying reason. I like to think my gut instincts helped me get either out of trouble or avoiding a particular situation. It may not be the most unique sense to think up for the sixth sense, but I think it's important. It helps me out when I play online games too like Warhammer Online, the kind where you fight other real people playing characters vs. computer controlled characters, where you have to guess where they might come from, or how many, or how they'll attack. There's nothing much predictable about it either. Yes, I couldn't possibly be more nerdy explaining this, and I don't care. :P If I didn't have gut instincts, I would miss it. Then I'd have to rely on guessing, my magic 8 ball, throwing salt over my shoulders...haha.

Day Seven:
Cat-like Senses.
(Update: After much consideration, I had a few ideas for new senses. We're always losing the remote to the TV, lighters, Aaron's hat) So I think I'd like to have the ability to locate lost objects such as these hehe!)
Seeing in the dark, really good hearing, being agile and jumping or climbing up high places, sleeping 16 hours a day lol...I would absolutely LOVE having the senses they do all wrapped up into one. It would be fun to not worry about stairs since you could jump much farther than normal (and usually land on yer feet when you slip n fall not so gracefully). No matter how many countless carrots I've eaten, I'm pretty sure cats can see way way better than I can in the dark. I hate trying to go down the stairs feeling around in the dark until I reach the light switch, so I would probably like being able to see good in the dark the best. It's almost a tie between graceful feline footing and seeing better in the dark I'd say. If I could do that, down goes the electricity bill atleast. I could see what was in the fridge even if the light burned out. Trust me, I tried today to find the salad dressing w/ no light, and it was frustrating to paw and dig through there, grasping bottles that felt like it, and turned out to be something else.

No comments: